Delayed Start to Spring Meet

Members,

The MHHA has been in contact with Northville Downs and the MGCB to discuss concerns about the start of live racing under the existing covid-19 capacity restrictions. The prospect of having to turn away horse owners, live racing fans, fellow horsemen, and their families from Northville Downs would be unfortunate, to say the least. As such we are supporting a request by Northville Downs to:

  • Cancel racing scheduled for March 19-20 and March 26-27.
  • Delay the first qualifier until March 17th and hold a second qualifier on March 24th (11 am post time).
  • Start the spring meet on April 2nd with our post time will be determined by the Covid-19 capacity restrictions.
  • Add make-up live racing dates on September 17, 18, 24, and 25.

We are also in communication with Northville Downs about the potential to open the facility for training soon. We wish we could provide a more concrete schedule but, unfortunately, we are unable to predict the impact that each new covid-19 order may impose on horse racing in Michigan. We are hopeful that we will have more flexibility as cases of covid-19 decline and vaccine distribution continues to ramp up.

Thomas Barrett
MHHA President